Sitwell Society  Promoting the literary legacy
 
   Home      The Sitwells      Lady Louisa
Louisa Lucy, Dowager Lady Sitwell (1827-1911)
 
Raised in the village of Weston, and at the hall of that name, in Northhamptonshire, Lady Louisa Hely-Hutchinson married the 3rd Baronet, Sir Sitwell Reresby Sitwell (1820-1862) in 1857. The couple would never live at the ancestral home, Renishaw Hall, since it was closed in 1847 after financial disaster.

Bereaved in 1862 she came to Scarborough with her two infant children, Florence (1858-1930) and Sir George (1860-1943). At the age of two he was the nation's youngest Baronet. From 1867, she lived in "Sunnyside", a modest villa on the edge of Royal Crescent, then she moved into Wood End in 1870.

During her 35 years here she used it as the base for her church and charitable work. The latter is most notably seen in the "Home of Hope", for destitute girls centred on "Red House", Sitwell Street in Falsgrave. Supreme was the hospital established at Kings Cliff in 1883. "Haybrow" at Scalby was purchased in 1893 as a summer residence and place of relaxation for Anglican clergy.
 
She spent her declining years at Bournemouth, dying there on 31st October 1911.